Saturday, January 28, 2012

Invercargill via Fabricator Kevin




After I ran the pic with Burt Munro and a couple of the neighborhood kids (originally thought to be his daughters) and his Velocette I recived this great note from Fab Kevin containing pics he took on a trip to Invercargill.  The lovely lady in the pics is Margaret, one Burt's daughters.  Kevin also got to visit Burts grave and hold one of his legendary hand poured pistons!  Great stuff.  Thanks again Kevin!  I've also included the note Kevin sent along with the pics.  Enjoy.

Brad,

Great pic of Burt. I've attached a couple of shots of his daughter, Margaret.  One is at Burt's grave in Invercargill, and one is next to the movie prop of the Munro Special.  She is a wonderful women, and told us that her childhood was very fun with Burt as a father.  He would give them motorcycle rides and pull them on sleds behind his motorcycles in the winter.  As he aged, he became so focused on the bikes that his family life disappeared completely.  His kids had no idea whatsoever what their Dad has accomplished until after he was gone. Sad, but his son and two daughters that we met were very witty and loved to talk about their Dad.

I also included a snap of one of Burt's piston's, as well as a shelf (One of many I was able to inspect) of cast off parts that Burt had made. I left that pic large so you could zoom in. (Kevin, I did not receive this pic btw).

I have many more, including some racing shots of some vintage brit bikes (Rudge's and Vincents), as well as Andrew Stroud riding a wheelie on a Britten, I just about broke down in tears when he took it out on the track....

Take care!

2 comments:

WhitelinePsycho said...

As the Damned one said "Neat, neat neat" . . . heavy history, huge post, cheers.

Diesel said...

Thank you my friend....