Monday, August 13, 2012

A Northern Roll/Float




















For the first time in ten years I missed Sturgis.  My family and some of their good friends had been planning a trip up into Canada to tour the North Channel by boat.  They charted a 36' trawler and had some room to spare so I decided to tag along.  I'm not really a boat person or know anything about them but I'm always up for something new and spending 6 days living on one turned out to be a blast. It's not often I get the chance to spend quality time with my folks and family so this trip was the perfect excuse to do so.  It's the first summer trip I've taken in many years that did not involve motorcycling in some way shape or form.  I guess that is not totally true since we did ride 900 plus miles to get up into the great white north and back. Most days on the boat involved exploring the many coves, pools and hiding spots the North Channel is made of looking for someplace to anchor and sleep for the night.  We took baths off the back of the boat, cliff dove into topaz colored mountain lakes, hiked our boots off, ate like kings, watched the impossible colors of the Canadian sunset fade to black and drank WAY too much rum. After 5 days afloat we said good bye for now to my family, jumped back on the bike and explored the upper peninsula of Michigan including Whitefish Point and the Great Lakes Shipwreck Museum, Tahquamenon Falls, Mackinaw City, Harbor Springs, funky Cross Village and the even funkier Legs Inn. We even ran into the annual wooden boat show in Hessel Michigan by pure luck. Near the end of the trip we bummped into the black 45 above and it reminded me of all the bike stuff waiting for me back home. It instantly stoked me up.  It was time to point the handle bars in a southerly direction!  Anyway sorry for the gap in communication....back to the bikes!

1 comment:

Bourbonator said...

your life is like, like, like the zen of neato