Sunday, February 24, 2013

Rosie Rolls Again...




On the last ride of the season Rosemary sheared her drive sprocket and left me stranded about 100 miles from home. The sprocket on big twins is riveted onto the drum brake, an easy repair back home in the shop.  But on the side of the road at night it's pretty much impossible - unless you have a small handful of 5/32 & 3/16 allen head bolts and matching lock nuts which now I will forever carry in Rosemary's tool bag. Since the flathead was done I finally got Rosemary up on the lift to finish this job yesterday. While riveting the sprocket back on I actually used the allen head bolts to secure it to the drum while riveting - a cool little trick - it allows you to get perfect alignment of ALL the holes with some adjust-ability - before you peen anything.  Once the rest of the rivets were in place I removed the temporary bolts and riveted the holes they were in.  Easy peasy.  Slow news day....yep.

1 comment:

SHIFTHEAD SPEED said...

Dude, this just happened to me on my shovel a while back. Long story short, I took it to a brake shop to have it done. I'd like to see it done with hand tools, though. You know, for the next time it happens :)