Friday, July 10, 2009

A New Mexican Wander

Back country one lane border bridge. This one was built between Indiana and Illinois and was how I rode into the latter state.

I chose to chase after route 66 ghosts like the Skyliner above. The mother rode is still packed with leftovers like this from another time. Fortunately a lot of the original businesses are still open, some even with their original owners.

The following images are from the Route 66 Museum in Clinton Oklahoma. A great place to cool off if your in the neighborhood. These photos do not do this place justice- it was a very well done.



U-Drop Inn restaurant and service station is totally restored, Shamrock Texas.

This is the first Phillips 66 station in Texas, also restored and open for business - if your business involves shooting pictures of old gas stations.


Just outside Amarillo is the Cadillac Ranch. ZON regulars will recall I stopped here last year as well. To fun to just ride by I had to stop and take another peek.


At the New Mexican border Route 66 comes out from under I-40 and more history reveals itself. The Tee Pee resides in Tucumcari along with a ton of other neat old stuff like the Odeon below.

In Tucumcari I said so long to 66 and headed northwest towards Santa Fe and Taos.

The Harwood Museum in Taos had a great show curated by Taos native Dennis Hopper.

Upstairs at the Harwood I posed with the "Death Cart". It looked like a trike to me and I could not help but think of Mr. Roth.

These next two paintings are the work of Hopper himself. They were huge and easily dominated the gallery. They were also very well done and I have to admit I have new respect for the man.


Another piece by Hopper that plays with light, shadow and form. The canvas shapes are mannequin heads.

Dennis explaining that he considers himself a painter not an actor. He says, he acts only so he can continue to do what he truly loves - painting.

The Taos Pueblo, one of my favorite places on earth.

Random Pueblo dog had use of only three legs but got around with ease.


7 miles from the Pueblo you'll find the Rio Grand. This shot is from the bridge that spans the gorge. It said the only bridge that attracts more suicide jumpers is the Brooklyn bridge. leaning over the railing as a semi truck rolls by was a trip as the whole bridge bucks and shakes. Scary.

On the last day in NM I rode down to Santa Fe.

The original train station. How many westerns used that location?

I'm sorry to say I did not catch the name of this church just off the plaza downtown but it was stunning.

The "new" altar...

and the old one.

Name the tank - win a little fame.

There are about thousand little curio shops around the plaza. I ducked into a couple to get out of the heat. Day of the Dead accoutrement's proved to be very popular.

The Eliminator has been replaced by a minivan.

More of the same - but far from same.

Amazing what the Native Americans and Mexicans created using only corn.

Colorado gas station find. Is there one of these warning labels without a pigs nose? Doubt it, but this one struck me as a true work of art.


On the way to Aspen - loved the town but could do without the people. Some of the most spoiled rotten snootiest shits I have ever brushed elbows with. I now understand why Hunter S. Thompson kept to himself back in Woody Creek. I'm sure those people were not the natives...
Killer roads everywhere in Colorado. This one is on the way up to Independence Pass and I fell in love with it. It was like the slot-car track you dreamed of as a kid, great corners with mind-blowing scenery.

38 degrees on July 3rd. Almost 2600 miles ridden at this point. The grand total for this trip would ultimately be 4266 3 days later. A good ride for 8 days.

The next day closing in on Estes park at 11,000 feet/37degrees this storm came in and harshed my mellow in a big way. Sleet and rain, a leaky rain suit and clouds on the road (yes, you read that right) so I had to stop and let them pass. Fun stuff!




Riding down the pass towards Estes, I found one of the last hotel rooms in town, got my soggy ass out of the rain, ate a whole chicken, had 3 cocktails and settled in for the Estes Park city fireworks display which was not half bad. Slept like a rock, got up and hit the slab for the two day (dry) blitz home.
Once again I found out it's tough to go wrong riding out west. 66 is still a gem hiding in the rough and New Mexico has officially eclipsed Wyoming as my favorite state.
Now it's time to begin the final full-bore sprint to finish the BonniPan. Wauseon is next week, I leave for Sturgis in 3 weeks and Bonneville follows a day later. If you don't here from me it's because I'm out in the garage doing what needs to be done.
Diesel

1 comment:

I_am_10_ninjas said...

Yammy Tank? XS650 or 400 Kinda hard to get a look being that beat.