Saturday, September 1, 2012

Davenport


















Don't let these pics fool you there were plenty of shoppers at the swap.  All of the pics you see were taken on Friday after the heard had pulled out due to the pending remains of hurricane Issac just a few miles south chugging along getting closer and closer every moment.  Still the storm held out for the races that night (which were the best in Davenport in years) and when we pulled out around midnight the isles of expensive rusty bits were still bone dry.  The real story of this meet and worth noting were the prices.  I ran across two 50K  and  one 75K(!!!?) run of the mill forties knuckle heads. Really?!  Even pan heads were getting into the game with many asking prices well over 20K!  It's worth noting that none of the bikes mentioned above were sold when we rolled out.  In sharp contrast Gene Payne and a few of the other pro's were getting absolute steals on the rare NOS stuff that they typically hunt.  So we have a swap meet price range with values at both ends of the spectrum with little middle ground.  Interesting.  I came home with few cool/needed  bits and managed to keep my cash output to under 200 bucks.

6 comments:

WhitelinePsycho said...

$50K, $75k . . . wtf, that does seem a tad over the top, especially for you guys in the States, maybe they figured have a big crack before the hurricane washed them and their silly prices away, nice shots of some super neato other stuff, cheers Diesel.

righteous said...

If it was original paint, 40k isn't too much for a 40 el!! I sell antique bikes for a living and that's what I'd need for that bike. If you want a nice correct panhead, restored or original, you're paying into the low twenties. Diesel, I'd pay a lot more than 20 cash for your 49! The older these beauties get, the more their worth!!!

Diesel said...

I don't know my friend. I've seen 30-40K for a freshly restored '36 knuck which I guess I can understand being the first year and all those one year only parts. But two of three were not very original - a lot of re-pop. The one that has the for sale sign in my post was the nicest one and 50K made me do a double take - I've never seen a for sale sign on a forties knuck in the mid-west for more than 35K. I'm not sure I've seen one for over 30K? I guess I'm just cheap. I'm glad and sad the values are climbing. Some people will never get the chance to ride this stuff, on the other hand it's nice to know you've got gold sitting in the garage.

Hermit said...

Incomplete shovel for $1500 seems a bit steep as well.
Newspaper ads and Craigslist are full of wishful thinkers. Asking price and selling price are two different things.
But I guess you can't blame a guy for trying.

Curtis said...

I know guys that built knucks for years and laugh at the prices people are paying. They dont even mess with them anymore because of that. Really it is because of the internet. More people want these bikes more then ever before. If some guy pays 50,000 for a knuck then everyone else thinks their knuck is worth that. Auctions always bring up the price. which is sad most people dont realize the fees that go along with that either. take 50,000 auction value and take 8% here and 6% there away and you will see that the seller didnt not get 50,000 for the bike. It was nice meeting you in Davenport. i would like to help out with a show in Detroit. Really be cool not much happens here to get people with bikes together. Battle of the brits is about it which is next sunday. roadtoglory1@gmail.com or give me a call 248-842-6799. I lov davenport but i'm starting to think Wauseon is better! Maybe cause it is closer and better prices!

Anonymous said...

Do you have any more photos of theat Flying Merkel that was in the background in one pic? (by the red truck, behind about 4 bikes for sale) I can't afford to buy it, but they are neat to see.