Monday, November 26, 2012

ULH Tank Redux






Part 3 in the continuing saga.  After weeks of chemical soak and shake that did nothing (MEK) I cut the inside of each tank out to gain access to a half-assd tank sealant application that happened sometime before I owned them. Then, using a small screw driver, vodka and many tedious hours I removed about 90% by hand, but the remaining coating would have to be removed under the media gun - or so I thought.  Turns out not even 90psi of media could get all of it, but this stuff called "Airplane Paint Stripper" that Ry had in his shop melted it all like butter!  I've never been happier to meet a chemical.  A little more scraping, a couple power-washings, and they were ready to weld up all nice and clean.  Ry did the honors, and like all of his work, they turned out perfect. I peeled back 20 layers of protective tape and found that the crappy old paint still looked crappy! alright! One last flush-out and they will be ready to hang on the frame.

3 comments:

Ry said...

Sweet!

Curtis said...

It seems that there is no good way to deal with grungy oil and gas tanks. Major bitch when you got cool paint I've seem to try every thing out there. Sandblasting, chemical cleans spending hours with nut and bolts in it shaking the living piss out of it. Every tank is different. My indian tanks had some crazy epoxy in them. nightmare!

Wes Rowlett said...

I would'v cried if you changed that paint, just sayin'.....