Monday, June 22, 2009

What's Old is Old...

Before...
After.

You would not be able to tell from my ULH but I'm kinda finicky. After looking at the paint on my tanks for all most 2 years I finally got around to "fixing" it. You see the paint scheme on the '39's had a feature line that split the tu-tone colors apart. That split line is supposed to line up perfectly with the rear down tube so in side-view it's one line from the rear axle center to the front of the tank. Whoever painted my tanks missed the visual connection so there was a break in the line at the rear of the tank. (You'll notice in the "before" picture I used some burnt orange striping tape to visually bend the line down and make the connection.)


That break kept me up at night, so last week I decided to re-paint the tanks correctly. The tanks are of shovel head vintage so although well worn over the years the paint was certainly not original. So I felt just fine sanding it all down (much to Tipsy's dismay). I think it looks a helluva lot better and I have no more bags under my eyes to prove it!

10 comments:

motoguru. said...

did i see you at the light @ 14 and woodward last night?

Chris K said...

Now you just need a set of real UL tanks.

Diesel said...

Motoguru - yes that was me. Were you on a Green(or blue) Trump?

Diesel

motoguru. said...

yup, that was me on the green bastard.

Diesel said...

Let's meet somewhere and kick tires soon. Downtown Chelsea friday the 26th there is going to be a display of vintage bikes for the the towns birthday. 4pm till 8. Gonna be there with the '39. Ride on out!

motoguru. said...

Sounds good! I work til 6, but I'll burn down right after.

Shoe said...

You designer types kill me with your flow and eye pleasing aesthetics.I think it should be taken all apart and ample amounts of flake and candie applied to it....HAHAHA..Maybe even ad some freak drops or starburst for good measure.

Brad you goin to Wauseon Swap meet
?

Shoe

Diesel said...

Shoe,

yep I'll be at Wauseon Thursday and Friday. Friday are the vintage flat track races so be there! Bringing my tent, plenty of good spots to watch the stars under.

Diesel

Matt Olsen said...

The line being off was the first thing i noticed when I saw the before pic. Good job on fixing it, the bike looks a lot better.

Diesel said...

Matt,

I like your blog, I'll add to my Favs list...

Diesel