Thursday, November 13, 2008

Mucho Wu 7

Cowboy, Rebel, Rock Star and Spaceman. To me Jackson was all of these things. He was the first artist that made me rethink the whole show. My entire life of making stuff can be divided into two chapters - before discovering Pollock and after. To some people his work appears to look like something anybody could do. But they are missing the point. Like most compelling art you have to think about it within the context of the period it was made, and I feel his was work was especially reactionary. I really don't know what was in his head when he was working but I like to believe he was creating from a place deep inside himself, a place where his energy was of it's purest form so the physical painting was just a manifestation of this energy trying to get out of him. Still with me? That's why I like his stuff, and it looks really cool.

No comments: